Changing quilts – Spring 2017

May 8, 2017 in QUILTING

It’s spring and time to switch out the quilts I have on display.

Here is my quilt “Waterfall’ that I made from lovely batiks back in 2011. It is 81″ x 97” – which is a big quilt for me.


This is one of my favorite quilts. First because it bright and bold and second because it is an easy quilt to make. I called this ‘Grid’ and ended up finishing at 67″ square. Wonder why I haven’t made another color version? Yet.


Have a great day.


2016 Rainbow Scrap Challenge

April 25, 2017 in QUILTING

In 2016, I participated in So Scrappy’s Rainbow Scrap challenge. If you are not familiar with the challenge there is a button on the right hand column to link to Angela’s blog where you can find more information. She is hosting the challenge again this year – you can still join all of the scrappy fun.

Here is my finished 59″ x 69″ quilt top. YAHOO !

2016 Rainbow Scrap Challenge

Linking up with So Scrappy and Quilting is more fun than housework.

How are your projects coming along?


Quiltville 2016 Leader Ender Challenge

April 4, 2017 in QUILTING

If you follow Bonnie Hunter’s Quiltsville blog you are familiar with her annual Leader Ender block challenge.

Here is my version of 2014’s Lozenge block challenge.


and 2015’s Tumbler block challenge….

Paint Chip Challenge

For 2016 Bonnie chose the Hourglass block. Here is my quilt ‘Weather Vane’.

Weather Vane 55×55

Can’t wait to see what Bonnie chooses this summer.

Check out my ‘Linky Parties’ page to find some fabulous blogs where I share my projects and get inspiration.



March 1, 2017 in QUILTING

If you follow Bonnie Hunter’s Quiltsville’s blog you know the term ‘squirrel’. It is when you are working on a quilt or project and you get a new idea, inspired by new fabric, find a new pattern and it looks more fun, more exciting…. So, you start another project.

I am famous for getting the quilt top center done but then stall out on adding the borders. Maybe I don’t know what I want to do for the borders OR I am bored with it OR I am more interested in the NEXT new, fun, exciting project. SQUIRREL !!

Here is another one of my ‘Scrappy Summer 2016′ quilt tops “Coins’. The center has been done since last October. I had decided that the border would just be strips of the background fabric – nothing hard or complicated but I haven’t gotten them sewn on until now. Really….squirrel….

Coins 53×64


This isn’t the only quilt top that needs a border. I have a few more WIP’s hiding out. I hesitate to set a goal but I have the best of intentions to drag them out and add their borders. Wish me luck that I don’t get distracted (again).

How are your projects coming along?

Check out my ‘Linky Parties’ page to find some fabulous blogs where I share my projects and get inspiration.


Book Challenge # 2

February 13, 2017 in QUILTING

We had the unveiling of the Book Challenge #2 a couple of weeks ago and I am finally pulling together the photos to share with you. It was my turn to choose the book and I decided that we would use a pattern from Alex Anderson’s ‘Simply Stars’ called ’54-40 or Fight’. Alex used 6″ finished blocks in red and blues and alot of plaids.

Jane did her version using lots of black and white prints and a variety of Moda marble fabrics in both bright colors and shades of grey. Isn’t it gorgeous !

Jane’s version

My version is done entirely with solids. As you can tell…. she is a better photographer.

Micki’s version

We never shared our design or color choices during the challenge so it is really interesting how our quilts look so similar. We both decided to change the pattern and make a rectangular quilt using bright colors and grey in the border. I added sashing and Jane switched up the outer border although the big difference is the color placement. Read a little more about our book challenges here.

Check out my ‘Linky Parties’ page to find some fabulous blogs where I share my projects and get inspiration.



January 30, 2017 in QUILTING

Last summer I was going thru some of my boxes of fabrics and decided it was time to use or give away the old, old stash. There was a box of old Christmas fabrics that I have been saving/hoarding/ignoring for some time. What if I use them to make a cute holiday wallhanging but set them in a more contemporary layout.

‘Northwoods’ has been made secretly over the past few months because it was a Christmas present for my brother Paul and his wife Janet. I am finally able to show it to you. They sent me this photo showing the quilt hanging in their foyer.


Check out the long arm quilting – it really enhances my simple tree quilt. The quilting was done by Patti Marrin of PM Quilt Design. Sorry, no closeups. Didn’t think about in the rush to finish the quilt but the pattern we chose included some holly leaves, berries and swirls.

Check out my ‘Linky Parties’ page to find some fabulous blogs where I share my projects and get inspiration.


Micki’s Leader Ender 2016 Quilt

January 10, 2017 in QUILTING

Is this a 2016 or 2017 completed quilt? I guess, technically, I finished it in 2017 but the quilt center was done by October 2016. Over New Year’s, I finally found some time to add the borders.

2016 Micki’s Leader & Ender

All of the fabrics used in this quilt were recycled shirts except the dark blue outer border.

My inspiration was a photo that a reader sent to Bonnie Hunter of Quiltsville. The quilt is adorable and loved the variety of colors but since I was working with recycled shirts I stuck to the blue and white adding a splash of red and gold. I removed the sashing which made the setting triangles of the blocks become half square triangles.

Check out my ‘Linky Parties’ page to find some fabulous blogs where I share my projects and get inspiration.